Thursday, February 24, 2011

Updates...............

Some things that have been going on lately............ I ordered my next batch of education. I'm hoping it will come in the next couple of days, but I'm betting it will show up next week. I'm psyched!! Learning new techniques, continuing to blow my co-workers out of the water...all a good time!! Hopefully, I'll be able to get all the studying and practicing in and be able to take the exam in August 2012!! I've been getting busier!! And, I've been doing colors, too!! Yesterday, my once a year client came in. She's a level 6 golden brown. Not any more. She's a level 6-7 flaming redhead with gold highlights!! She's a lot of work because her hair is not quite waist length. The bonus is that her hair is fine in texture, so it develops quickly. Her hair color was GORGEOUS!! Ginger never said a word...mostly because A) she doesn't like my technique, and B) she's afraid of red hair color, like most hairdressers posing as colorists are. I'd love it if those that don't like doing color would turn their color clients over to me, but I don't see that happening. So, I'll just keep plugging away at what I have, creating fabulous colors that are nice to the hair!! I also am planning on amassing box hair color so I can experiment with that, as well. I want to see if it's truly completely different than professional (which I'm pretty sure it's not). I will need to go through my collection of hair first, though, to get more swatches done (which is a tedious, mind numbing , messy job.) in the shades I'd like to work with the most. I have a lot of certain levels...like level 7 which, in my world is blonde, but visually is a really light brown/dirty blonde. I also have a fair amount, still, of really dark hair. But, I'll need to check. And, of course, I'll need to create more color treated swatches, also, so I can experiment with those, as well. Previously color treated hair is quite the learning experience. I may even trash some, so I can work on realistic hair, as well. I also did a beautiful highlight retouch last week. She's a natural level 7 (see, I told you) and her hair is fine in texture, almost baby fine, which means it will pull up to the right color rather quickly. I used the lowest possible developer in the TiGi line with their lightener, and had to put her under the dryer for 15 minutes on medium (which is 90 degrees of heat) to help the top develop with the rest. Ginger was all "don't leave her under there too long...it'll swell and bleed". Here's the thing: I use the lowest possible developer, so the swelling is kept to a minimum...the swelling is caused by the lightener, anyway, not the developer, however, the slower the developer, the more control you have over the product. The more control you have, the more likely the color will come out evenly when you are done. Her hair blended beautifully, and it looked NATURAL, which is always my goal. She was thrilled (which is another goal), and she'll be back!! While talking to my red head yesterday, I found out that her boss saw Evelyn a few weeks ago, and Evie had done her highlights, which came out orange because she had a lot of previous color on her hair, which, knowing Evie, she didn't take completely into consideration. What should have happened is she should have let the client know that was going to happen, and the best she could do, without ruining the integrity of her hair, is lift her as high as she can safely, then tone over the top to make it look better than the orange. It would have given her caramel colored highlights, but it would have been a better thing to do than to let her leave orange and tell her it looked wonderful, which, I'm sure, is what happened. I told my client to tell her to come in and talk to Ginger about it. We'll see if that really happens. Sometimes, people just prefer to complain instead of seek a solution to the problem. If you EVER have a hair mishap, PLEASE just talk to your hairdresser about it. If that person isn't the owner, and you get no where, talk to the owner to seek resolution. If they are the owner, and you don't get the resolution you're looking for, it may be time to seek out a new hairdresser. Which was my newest client yesterday. She lives right in town, yet was travelling to my hometown to get her hair done. By a lady who does the same haircut and hair style on EVERYONE, which I've heard before. Sometime between now and the next time she comes in, I need to cook up a color plan for her...she wants something different than the usual highlights. YAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment