Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Ch-ch-ch-changes....and other stuff...

So, we've had some staff changes.  Which is why I haven't been on in EONS. 

Joan quit back in May.  No great loss, there.  She turned out to be more trouble than she was worth.  I've learned (because of her) that if someone says to me "Oh, you can confide in me.  If someone tells me something and they say "don't say this to so and so" you can bet I won't" is usually lying through their teeth.  Basically, Joan didn't like the fact that I wouldn't give in to her scheduling demands, and after the great scheduling fiasco back in April, she wouldn't work when I scheduled her to without a fuss, so, no great loss when she gave her notice.  And, just for fun, she left a full two weeks earlier than what she said she would.  LOVE people like that.

So, then, Tiffany lasted exactly one month longer than Joan did.  And left for similar reasons.  I know that I'm no picnic to work with, especially when I'm stressed.  But, if you work WITH me instead of AGAINST me, life goes much easier, for everyone.  I'm not demanding undying devotion.  However, if you want to WORK in your chosen profession, you need to be at work.  And you need to work when you're scheduled.  Help us out.  It's called TEAM WORK.

So, Tina and I have been working alone for the last two months.  We also got a new District Manager, Diana, who lasted less than a month.  And I knew, right from the moment I met her, that she and I were NOT going to get along.  She came in with the attitude that she was the "Lady of the Manor", which doesn't tend to sit well with me.  And on her last visit with us, she helped herself to a lot more things than the box of gloves I knew she was taking.  And had no intention of returning those items when she ordered them.  Love people like that.

So, then, we got Kelli as a District Manager.  And that's been working well, so far.  We've had some issues, mostly stemming from the fact that I've been left alone (as a salon manager) for a really long time and now I've got a DM up my butt.  That's taken some adjusting, let me tell you!  But, we're getting there.  She did, however, find me some applications!

Here's the story:  Apparently, two people applied for positions in our salon WAY BACK WHEN and I never knew about it (this is stuff I don't have access to as a salon manager...don't ask).  So, when Kelli found them in a file on the computer, she pulled them up and made preliminary phone calls.  She then gave me the numbers of these people to call.  And one actually responded.  Who is now working in the salon.  Her name is Lisa.  (again, a name change to protect the "innocent")

Lisa has been a stylist since 1991.  She got out of hairdressing back in 2007, after an accident at her second job, lifting a patient and hurting her back.  She decided, last year, she wanted to get back into the game.  And, so she has.  She's fabulous, confident, and will be a steady influence for Tina on the weekends. 

And, Lynn is coming back!!  I'm super psyched for this, also!  We're just working out the details of when she can actually start working.  So, things are looking U-P at the salon.  We just had our best Tuesday in a long time last night because Lisa worked with me from 1-8.  AWESOME!!  I thanked her profusely and told her how glad I am she's working there.

IN OTHER NEWS.....

Lisa had a potential highlight/color in her chair last night.  Her first one since she started last week (the poor lady has had trial by fire the whole time she's been here!).  Her consultation was lengthy, and with good reason.  A mere few months ago, the client had heavily highlighted hair...almost totally blonde, in fact.  Who then put a box of brown over it, thinking "There!  I fixed my hair.  It's back to my natural color (kinda) and so I can highlight it again later if I want to!"  Yuh.  Not so much.  Lisa talked to her, at length (and thank goodness the client understood what she was getting at, even though she kept looking for loop holes to jump through) about what would more than likely happen to her hair if  she went ahead and highlighted it.

So, Lisa wound up doing a test strand on the client's hair.  Rather revealing, which it's supposed to be.  The first four inches of her hair, which were virgin, lifted beautifully.  The next 5-6 inches, not so much.  They did lift, but there's some major issues because of color build-up.  The last 3 inches of her hair turned CRISPY.  Through some more conversation, it was discovered that not only did she have multiple layers of hair color going on in there, she'd also had a chemical hair straightening.  So, kids, she had a head full of heavily processed hair!!  While she was pretty disappointed that she couldn't get what she wanted (and may wind up at another salon who will not care about the chemicals in her hair and do what she wants, anyway), she left after receiving a great haircut and purchased some products to help her hair along.

I'M SO GLAD I HIRED LISA!!!  Now, once I get Lynn back on board, the place will ROCK!!  WOO HOO!!!

And, lastly, Katie Katherine and I are moving!  I bought a house!!  We're super-psyched about this!  Right now, we're living in "box city" because most of then apartment is packed up, ready to go!  Just a little bit left (bathroom, my bedroom, empty out the closets, wipe down the walls) and we're good to go!  Signing the papers on September 4th!!

Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment