Thursday, May 6, 2010

What an awful week!

OMG!! I can't wait for this week to be over!!! Monday must've been okay, because I don't remember anything major that happened. Did laundry early, worked on more hair swatches, puttered around at home. Tuesday: We had a weather "event" blow through here. It had all the earmarks of a tornado-type thing. I have "cousins" up in East Barre, VT who took pictures of the beginnings of a funnel cloud! KatieKatherine was home alone while I was at work and completely FREAKED out when all the weather started to kick up. She called me at work, begging me to come home. I felt soooo bad, but I couldn't leave. I had clients coming in, and unbeknown st to me at the time, the road home was blocked by multiple trees in the way! From what I understand, WMUR in Manchester, NH was here and showed some of the damage in our area. All the surrounding towns had damage, power outages, etc. Consequently, she was very clingy when I got home. BTW, she wound up downstairs with "Cat Lady", pulling herself together until I finally got home! (Thank you, "Cat Lady"!!) Wednesday: It started off GREAT. Got caught up on "Dancing with the Stars", "Biggest Loser", Facebook, emails. Took KatieKatherine to school. I stop in traffic on Main Street because the school bus is picking kids up at the bank. I am paying attention to the traffic in front of me. An aside: every one's windows on their cars were covered in condensation yesterday morning, due to the previous evening's storm) All of a sudden, BAM!!! There's a turquoise Pontiac Grand Am that has smacked into my passenger door!. AAAAHHH!! So, I get out of the car. The driver is freaking out, her boyfriend is already dropping f-bombs. I ask her if she has a phone. She does. Okay...call the cops. She calls it in, freaking out the whole time. She's apologizing to me, right and left. She's also rattling on about how she couldn't see out the back window, doesn't have insurance, money, she'll lose her license again, she just got this car, there's a baby in the back seat. The boyfriend is swearing up a storm, yelling at her that it's her fault, now he has to call work and tell them he'll be late. He gets on the phone and starts yelling at whomever is on the other end that his "old lady just fucking hit this fucking car and I'm going to be fucking late". Did I mention yesterday's episode was brought to you by the letter "F"?? The genius wanted us to move the cars out of the road (both were drive able). I said "Uh-uh. Nothing gets moved until the cops get here" "Well, You (meaning the girlfriend) need to get the fucking baby out of the fucking car." Again, I pipe up with "You can't move him....not until the cops get here and check things out." The entire time this is going on, the baby was in his car seat, drinking his bottle, not disturbed at all by the events unfolding around him. The police arrive. Thank goodness, he's a very large individual, because pip-squeak boyfriend is still flipping out. I'm expecting a domestic dispute to be on top of the accident. By now, we've drawn a crowd, all because of his mouth. I finally said "Hey. Enough of the f-bombs." Girlfriend is still freaking out. Now, she's hysterically crying, calling her mom to tell her what happened, swearing at her mom, swearing at her boyfriend, then calling Mom back to get her to come get the boyfriend. She's also telling me about how she's got an "uncle" who owns a local garage who can fix my car, cheap. Hang on...because I'm not doing anything until my insurance company takes a look at things. Eventually, we get this cleared up, and people can move on. I kept trying to emphasize to her that it's okay, it's just a car, no one was hurt. She's freaking out because this is not the first time she's done this, she has no insurance, it's the only thing she owns, and I must be rich if I'm not freaking out about my car being damaged. I looked at her and replied "I'm not rich , I'm no better off than you. This car is all I own, as well. However, NO ONE GOT HURT AND THAT'S WHAT IS MOST IMPORTANT!" So, the insurance company calls me later in the day. I'm covered. Once they look at the car, they'll be able to assess whether or not the repair is worth more than the car is, because my car is a 99. If everything is a go, they'll cut me a check, and then go after her to repay it. I told them that I didn't want to have it cost a small fortune for her, but she I felt she needs to be responsible for the repairs. And I'm not using some schmo that she knows, I'm going with a reputable repair shop that I would feel more comfortable dealing with. My insurance company agreed with me (as they will). Let's hope for a better ending to the week!!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great week, Beth! Glad that no one was injured in the accident and that Katie was already at school. I know how Katie feels about storms, I hate them and it our tornado season, from March-November, with May-August being the prime time.
    What are you going to do to celebrate your birthday?

    ReplyDelete