Monday, October 11, 2010

Color Class

So, I had my first official color class as a practicing hairdresser. Guess what I learned?? That I still don't know diddly squat. I also learned that the educators can sometimes be "snobs" about older methods that should still be in use...for example, a good, old fashioned double process. I got the "that's old-school". Like I was discussing life before the polio vaccine!! The funny thing about the industry I'm in, there are so many different "disciplines" to each phase of this career. Some people agree, some do not. However, Chrissy and I both found some interesting answers to provide the next time we do something that Ginger doesn't want us doing. An example: The color line, Color Sync, (which is a demi permanent color...has no ammonia) is applied to the hair with either a squeeze bottle (kinda like the red & yellow condiment squeeze bottles) or with a bowl & brush (like painting). It is left to process on the hair for 20 minutes, with NO HEAT, according to manufacturer instructions. Ginger, on the other hand, prefers us to apply it either method, then put a cap on their head (so they look like the cafeteria lady) and have them sit under a hood dryer, set on #2 or #3 (medium or high) for 25 minutes. According to the two educators we had today, that is not necessary. It doesn't hurt the hair to introduce heat (since there's no ammonia to swell the cuticle), however, it doesn't really help it, either. I also mentioned good ol' 11A in reference to using it like a high lift color. You should have seen the face the educator made!!! :) She showed us some techniques, however, she focused more of her attention on the two younger girls from JC Penney, and even more to Chrissy than to myself. It was obvious to her that I'm quite a bit older than the rest of the girls in the class. However, she didn't realize (because she didn't know) that I'm just as new to hairdressing as the others are! I do feel I have a slightly better grip on the Matrix color line than I did before. Hopefully, I can take what I've learned and apply it!! :) It also occurred to me that a good majority of my clients are haircut clients, not necessarily color clients. I need to work on that!!

No comments:

Post a Comment