Thursday, May 23, 2013

The things I see...

I was just on Facebook, reading "memes", and one of them said something about remembering the last haircut you did on the person in your chair.  Which, unless they come to you REGULARLY, it's difficult to remember what you did.  My memory is pretty good---I can pull up all kinds of weird stuff from my memory banks.  Except people's names when they're new and particularly when I don't see them very often.  If something memorable happens during the appointment (say, a hilarious or serious conversation, head lice, a bump on their head, unusual hair line) I don't always remember people.  It gets me into trouble sometimes because I'm honest enough to say that I don't remember and it hurts people's feelings.  I see probably 200 people a month, between clients sitting in my chair, customers purchasing product or asking questions, not to mention when I spend time with my friends!  So, it's hard to remember people, but I try.

Something that happened the other day also popped into my head.  Pauline & Warren are a cute little retired couple.  (Pauline actually trained me for my very first job, a million years ago, when I was in high school)  To save money, Pauline & Warren cut each other's hair.  Which makes it hard to cut Warren's hair, because he's used to how Pauline does it, and expects the trained professional to cut like the untrained housewife.

Pauline was in the other day to get a perm.  On the surface, her hair looked fine.  I could see where there was some "creativity" on the top, near her bangs, but otherwise looked okay.  Until I washed her hair and started sectioning it for her perm.  Which required me to do some seriously creative wrapping of her hair to get all the hair in the rods.  While it's tempting to make a note to cut her hair first next time, I don't believe I will....I'll wind up cutting too much hair off and won't be able to give her the soft perm she's looking for.  Pauline's comment to me regarding cutting her hair : "I almost don't want you to cut my hair...It's just starting to turn under nicely" (this was before I started wrapping her hair).  "Well, I'll take a look at it as I'm wrapping and see what needs to be done"  OH BOY.

So, when I got done with the perm part, I started sectioning her hair.  Once the hair was curled, you could definitely see where the bulk was in the hair cut.  YIKES.  She commented again about not losing any length, and my reply was "Well, I see a lot of uneven sections in your hair, so I'm just going to even everything up".  Thankfully, I haven't run into a home haircut yet that I can't fix, but, DEAR GOD IN HEAVEN!  STOP CUTTING EACH OTHER'S HAIR!

She did comment on the fact that her arthritis has gotten bad enough that she can't hang onto the hair any longer and would be coming in to see me more regularly for her hair cuts, Warren, too.  We'll see if she shows up in 6 weeks to get it trimmed.  Stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful website you have here but I was wondering if you knew of any forums that cover the same topics discussed in this article?I'd really like to be a part of group where I can get feed-back from other knowledgeable people that share the same interest. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks!
    hairdressers Edinburgh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Facebook is probably the best forum out there. It's where I get a lot of the subjects for my blog from! You can also try David Velasco's website, or any of the professional websites (wella, matrix, whomever). Just sign up for them!

    ReplyDelete