Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Random stuff

Took a phone call yesterday " Um, hi. My hair is brown and I bought a box of blonde hair color, used it, and it turned my hair yellow. How much will it cost to fix it??" "Are you wanting to take your hair back to brown??" "Oh, no! I want to be blonde, just not yellow." "Well, the thing with box color it that the developer is at a low speed, and that's why you turned yellow...that's as far as your hair can lighten with that box of color. To fix your color, we'd really need you to come in so we can look at it and figure out what's the best thing to do." "So, you can't give me a price?" "Not without seeing your hair first. We'll need to look at the color and condition of your hair to best assess what needs to be done." "um, uh, oh, okay, thanks. 'Bye." Now, I realize I didn't give her the answer she was looking for. I get that. However, here's the thing. 1) Telling me your hair is brown doesn't mean a thing. Truly, all hair is a shade of brown. Be more specific. Chocolate brown, tan, light brown, dirty blonde...something DESCRIPTIVE...use your adjectives, people!! 2) "My hair turned yellow"..again, describe: inside a banana yellow?? Lemon yellow?? Orangey-gold?? While I know I'm supposed to be asking these questions, realize I'm still trying to absorb what you've just told me. This past Sunday was Easter. Not a big holiday, in my book. I'm not religious, so the significance of Easter doesn't do it for me. I know the significance, just not interested. So, anyway, it means a get together at my mother's. Which includes my brother. I've never told you about my family, and those that do know my family, well.... My mother grew up in the 40's & 50's...when girls worked hard to do their hair. As an adult, she also permed her own hair, my grandmother's hair and my hair (good ol' Lilt home perms!!). She set my Gram's hair every week in pin curls, too. Really, she's always been a frustrated hairdresser. She also has a very set opinion of hairdressers, and my accomplishments in cosmetology school did nothing to change that. She feels they're dumb party girls who don't do a damn thing all day long, except "do hair"...how tiring is that?? I made the comment on Sunday that I was tired. By the end of my work week, I'm worn out. Right now, I know I need new shoes..working on that. Also, as a hairdresser, you are always "on" for your clients. It's mentally exhausting, and, by the end of the day, as Beth Minardi says, "My charm tank is empty". Sunday, for me, is a day of rest, in more ways than one! The comment my mother made?? "How can you be tired?? All you do is stand behind someone and do their hair. Your job is about as strenuous as mine." ( she works at Walmart, in the cash office, so she sits and counts money for her entire 4 hour shift) To which I replied, in a pissed off tone of voice "I'll trade with you, any time." She then tries to make it up to me by asking me how many clients I do a day. So, I have to explain to her (actually, I don't have to, I choose to) how I don't have daily clients, I have monthly clients. However, I also take every walk-in that comes in the door, as does Chrissy. Mom dropped it after that. Did I mention I dislike being with my family?? It causes a lot of internal tension that I just hate trying to deal with. I also have a teenager, now. Which means, if given the choice, she would stay in bed all day long, doing NOTHING. I remember it well. What's especially entertaining is when she knows the rules and thinks I'll bend them, every time. Example: Get out of bed before 6:30 and I'll be happy to cook you something for breakfast. However, roll out of bed at 7:15?? Not happening. There's enough in the fridge to feed yourself with. Get busy. She's also thoroughly convinced that I'll be doing all the things I do now when she's 25. Thinking NOT!! Okay. I'm done complaining, for now....thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment