Saturday, March 17, 2012

My own color disaster....

My regrowth needed to be done.  We NEVER have time at work, due to the fact that we're ridiculously busy most of the time.  So, it's up to me to get it done.  So, I went to the local professional product distributor and picked up what I needed.  I also talked Katie into doing most of my color work for me (she's seriously toying with going to cosmetology school after high school, so, here's some practice!)

Step one:  A color balancing.  This is a mixture of shampoo, lightener, & developer, mixed in a bowl.  Katie sectioned my hair (4 quadrants), then sub sectioned it to apply the product, omitting my regrowth, to lighten my hair.  (repeated applications of demi permanent color eventually causes the hair to get progressively darker, thus making my hair look brownish).  This sat on my hair, capped, for 30 minutes.  Which, as it turned out, was about 10 minutes too long.  My hair turned apricot colored.

Not necessarily a big deal, really.  It will still support red hair.  So, I had Katie apply my permanent color formula to my regrowth.  Over all, my hair didn't look too bad...Katie's application was fine, by the way...just too light.  (kind of "strawberry"-ish)

So, Wednesday morning, after I take Katie to school, I mix up the formula for my ends.  I have neglected to tell you that all of this color is from Matrix, and it's all the "HD" color...."High Definition", which really means intense pigment.  I apply the color, cap my hair, let it sit for 30 minutes, then wash it out.  HOLY RED HAIR.  And not Lucille Ball red.  Not Orphan Annie red, not Rita Hayworth red.  Freakin' RONALD MCDONALD RED!!!  It was an intense shade of red when WET (when hair usually looks quite dark).  So, I scrambled in the bin of color that I have, looking for a remedy.

I had also foiled other colors into my bangs:  An RV, CR & 1 foil of lightener.  Since I liked how that came out, I left my bangs out when I covered my hair with 3/4 6N & 1/4 6CG (natural & copper gold).  And, because my hair is a bit trashed from the color balancing, my ends are a bit, well...crispy.  (I'm also waaaay overdue for a haircut).  However, my ends are now a coppery brown (not my best color, but it'll work til I can get my hair trimmed up) and my bangs have some craziness going on.  Which works for me.

Lesson learned??  Don't leave the color balancing on so damn long!!  And refill the color stash so I can correct the mistakes a bit better.

Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment