Tuesday, April 23, 2013

The things I see...

This very nice lady came in yesterday to purchase some product.  When I looked at her from a distance and from behind, her hair looked pink.  I was soon to find out this was not intentional.

The scenario: Older woman, late 40's to mid 50's.  Darker complexion (sort of olive-y), brown eyes, hair is on the coarse side of things, maybe to the tops of her shoulders. MAX.  Recently divorced, had been looking for a less expensive hairdresser to take care of her hair.  Thought she'd found what she was looking for.

What she wanted (and what had been previously discussed with her hairdresser):  Coppery brown with some highlights.  Put in a bit more highlights than what she'd been doing over the winter to brighten things up.

What she got:  Heavily highlighted hair that was breaking off every time you touched it.  And a seriously pink hue from lifting the brown copper out.  She also had amazingly blonde color at the root area.

Product she was looking for: Something to put moisture back int her hair because it's so dry now.

Holy Mother of God....her hair was more than "Dry"...it was FRIED!!  Her stylist was sooo freaking aggressive with her hair!!  I felt so bad for this lady!  I actually told her "If it were me, and I got this done to my hair, I would go back and explain to her that this isn't what was discussed previously, this isn't what I expected nor wanted, my hair is breaking off and I need you to do something about it, at no cost to me, since this isn't what I asked for in the first place."

The thing with being a hairdresser is that people TRUST us.  They trust that we'll be professional and do what's right for our hair.  They trust that we'll actually KNOW what we're doing and why we need to do it.  NO ONE, EVER needs to destroy some one's hair!! 

From the sounds of things, a consultation wasn't done.  Why??  Who knows.  Maybe the stylist thought about things, came up with a plan, and decided to go for it, thinking that the client wouldn't let her do what she wanted.  Of course, what may very well happen is this client may never go back to this stylist ever again.  Maybe she was feeling rushed??  Tough to say, really.  Unfortunately, the end result isn't a great one.

I also suggested to the client that if the stylist started to approach her with hair color to fix it, to step away.  Her hair is so compromised right now that coloring it will only make it worse, not better.  The best thing she can do right now is lots of conditioning treatments, and let it grow.  Cut, grow, cut, grow.  And don't go back to that stylist again.

No comments:

Post a Comment