Friday, November 6, 2009

First Blog....

I tend to be a sporatic blogger, and I tend to be a bit of a complainer....fair warning!! However, I figure if my Auntie M is doing this, I MUST be behind the times!!! Currently, I'm searching for a mission statement to post at my station at work. I had read about it, somewhere, and felt it was a good idea to have one. Any ideas??? I've always wanted to be a hairdresser...it goes back to when I was five and getting my hair cut for the first time (in my memory that doesn't include my mother, hairdressing tape, and kitchen shears!). Two and a half years ago, the opportunity finally presented itself...I had a mini mid-life crisis and was between jobs. I went to check out the school, but was too chicken to enroll right then and there, as I should have (hindsight, you know...). Went back in July and missed the July class by just a few days (drat!), so, I signed up for September 2007, much to my mother's chagrin (for those of you who know my relationship with my mother, no explaination is needed!), and with my daughter's support, I went to school. Truly, it was the biggest struggle I've ever encountered. I had just celebrated my 20th high school reunion, and stepping in to cosmetology school was just like going back to high school...same drama, same chaos. However, I was FINALLY where I wanted to be, to learn what I wanted to learn. I've always joked that my Dad told me to do what you're good at, and I finally listened to him! It was hard to be the only 38 year old in class with 9 18 year olds...they whined more than my (then) 10 year old did! And, much like I had mentally predicted, I wasn't well liked by a lot of my classmates because A) didn't fall for their excuses, B) didn't have sympathy for their foolishness, C)studied hard D)knew the answers E) spoke up in class before they did. That made life a lot more difficult for a while. However, these were the same girls, who, when they didn't know what to do, would ask me for help, over and above asking the instructor. It got to the point where I would answer them with either "I don't know" (which didn't fly) or "Go ask...." because I was tired of their lack of listening skills! HOWEVER, I graduated, and at the top of my class, which I am VERY proud of, considering when I graduated from high school, I was in the bottom third of my class! Went to state boards (very nerve-wracking experience), passed with flying colors, then went on the great search for a job. That was a separate experience! I tried at 4 different salons before I found one that would give me a decent "audition", and that's where I'm currently working! I absolutely LOVE what I do, even when the atmosphere is frustrating. I'm slowly and steadily building my client base, keeping track of everything I sell, both in services and retail products, and am doing okay. I'm not making commission yet, but that will come in time. Not only am I blogging to get off my chest whatever I need to say, but to also get me "out there". I will also be putting up a facebook page, expressly for my hairdressing self, not my personal self (which I alread have!) Thanks for reading! As soon as I figure out how to post pictures (again, if Auntie M can do it, so can I!), I will start showing my work!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment