Thursday, January 20, 2011

Because I'm such a brat....

Ever since Katie's Dad came back into the picture, we've all become "friends" on Facebook. It comes in handy if I need to communicate with him, although it isn't really with HIM. It's with his girlfriend, Brenda, who was originally quite instrumental in pushing Doug to contact Katie after she had contacted him. Make any sense?? Anyway....Brenda had recently posted pictures from the last big snow storm...and I commented on the picture. Here's the small back story on what's in the picture: When I was pregnant, Doug's big silver & blue pickup's engine blew....ugly. So, he needed a new truck. He didn't actually NEED the truck...just a reliable vehicle. He took one look at this one ton, cinnamon red & silver ford pick up (the nose-blower special, mind you), instantly fell in love, and bought the damn thing. His truck payments, at that time, were more than my rent was!! At the time, I wasn't happy with him for buying that truck (no, we weren't living together)...it was waaaaaay to expensive, and we had a baby on the way. Jump ahead, 14 years later...the truck actually still exists, albeit in very rough shape. The vehicle he took so much pride in now smells like a dirty ashtray, the dash has cracks in it, hasn't been properly cleaned in FOREVER, the chrome is peeling off the stirrups...sad, really. Any way, Brenda had posted the picture of the truck, half buried in snow (someone swept off the passenger side of the truck to demonstrate how deep the snow was). The comment I wrote was "Awww....Katie's truck is BURIED!!!" knowing he wouldn't bother to say anything...he never goes on Facebook. Here comes the fun part...."Doug" got on and made the comment "That's Brenda's truck!!!"...It wasn't Doug that made the comment, it was Brenda, under Doug's sign in. How do I know this??? Well, Doug's command of written English is a bit interesting...he didn't take typing (as far as I know) in high school, so everything he types (because he's actually sent Katie messages before) are a huge, unpunctuated run on sentence. The comment was properly punctuated, spelled, capitalized, spaced, you name it. Oh, and Doug never remembers his passwords to sign into anything...Brenda does it all. It was unbelievably tempting to say "well, considering "you" bought that truck back in '96, when I was pregnant with Katie, I've always considered it to be her truck" or something equally stabbing right between the eyes to her. However, he chooses to live with her, so I decided to take the high road. Let her think I'm not smart enough to figure things out. Eventually, she'll figure out I'm a lot smarter than she looks!! I'm betting Katie's birthday party will be quite interesting, too, especially if they all come up here!! Stay tuned........

No comments:

Post a Comment