Saturday, January 29, 2011

Last night's class

So, we had a color class, in house, yesterday. What a great class!! The funny thing is that Frankie (the educator) taught my co workers what I already knew. What she did for me, was give me a couple of tricks to use with my clients, and explain the TiGi color line better, so we're all more comfortable using it. What she taught my co workers: How to do the regrowth with permanent color, and the ends with demi permanent to preserve the integrity of the hair. The Back story: One of the client/guinea pigs is a woman who is naturally a level 5 with 50% grey, medium texture, lots of natural wave/curl. She has been "blonded" with my favorite, 11A + 40 vol x 2. Which doesn't bring her to a level 11 (except on some of the over processed parts). and it offers NO grey coverage. The client, and her husband, don't really like the blonde that she'd become...too orangey for them. So, she was taken back to a level 7, which is in between what is her natural level (5), and what the blonde was (8-9). The end result looked a tad muddy to me, but that's mostly the lighting in the salon. What was important, is that the client liked it. It will be interesting to hear what the folks at home thought of her color! What I learned during this class about my co workers: They have little knowledge of how color works. Not just the line we were using, mind you, but color in general. They, even the amazing Evelyn, didn't know that when you're doing foils, (which requires lightener) that if you're combating hair that doesn't lift as well(due to color being continually dragged through the hair and well water), that you can and should re apply a fresh batch of lightener to those sections you know aren't going to do well. To me, this is a no-brainer. But, it totally didn't occur to Evelyn that she should do this. And, it didn't occur to Ginger, either. They never bothered to ask me, and I don't usually offer up what I know..it gets them testy. And, the fact that they have no idea how permanent color truly works. It's not the dye load that's permanent. It's the lifting action prior to deposit that is permanent. And, when you drag the color continually through the hair, the color that has ammonia in it, you are redepositing something that doesn't need to be there. Ginger is CONVINCED that why she can't get the comb through a certain client's hair is because of well water build up. Well water doesn't tend to build up on the ends of the hair...it stays more towards the root of the hair because that's where the water actually "hits" the hair...it doesn't have time to deposit the minerals as it slides down the hair. But it does have time when you leave your head under the spray of water. The real reason why she can't get the comb through is because of all that color being dragged through the hair and blowing the cuticle to kingdom come, continually. And Frankie explained all of that. And I watched the wheels turn in Ginger's head...I also watched the doors close on Evelyn's...because she knows everything, of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment