Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Color Class

So, I had a color class at a local salon yesterday. My cousin's salon, in fact. More on that part in a bit... The class was a Goldwell color class. Because the majority of us were new hairdressers (less than 5 years in service), the class was a basic class with product knowledge. Which was a good class, but, boy, my brain was FRIED when we were done...lots to process, even though I knew all this stuff. And, what I find happens when I go to these classes is A) I clam up and don't say a whole lot B) I, inadvertently, say something moderately stupid, and then clam up after that. I can formulate colors, and do it fairly well. Previous color still messes me up, but I'm getting there. It's helpful that I know to use demi color on the ends when doing a color change, unless we're lightening up the color over all. But these classes always make me feel like I know NOTHING...I hate that!! My next class is in May, for Footlogix...all about pedicures. Should be a good class. About my cousin's salon: It's a HUGE cavern of a salon...it accommodates up to 11 stylists, a nail technician, and an esthetician. In the 3+ years that she has had this salon, she has chewed up and spit out employees, to the point that the only ones she can attract are people fresh from hairdressing school...people with no client base to help pay the bills. And it's sad to watch. One of her sales reps is trying to convince her to attract booth renters, but she's not wanting to do that because she thinks they won't follow her "rules" and do things her "way". This is what holds Karen back...her ego...in a big way. So, her salon is floundering, she can't afford to keep the place open. It's a beautiful salon, although it could use a bit of updating, it's not bad. Very spacious. She's not overloaded with product, which is good from a financial standpoint, but from a consumer standpoint, she has nothing for variety to offer the consumer. So, they'll go elsewhere to get their products. And eventually, go somewhere else to get their services, too. I sneaked a look at her books...of the 3 employees she has (including herself) only one is booked with clients, and it's not her. Part of her book is because she had emergency gall bladder surgery over the weekend, so things had to shift. But, the rest of it is she's just not booked. Karen has been doing hair for 15 years...she should have a client base, even if some of it has dropped off. It's really sad to see. Times like this, even though Karen isn't my favorite person, where I wish I could help. She had wanted me to come work for her when I got out of school, and I said NO WAY...our personalities are an awful lot alike and I know we'd have butted heads, regularly...I've worked with her before, and have even sat in her chair to experience how inconsistent she is, what her attitude is like...that's how I can say her ego is holding her back. It's going to stink, big time, if she has to close her salon.

2 comments:

  1. Hi there my sweet. I found your blog on Tablescape thursday. When I saw your name on the comments post I just had to have a look at your profile.

    You will see from my profile that I also did hairdressing for nearly thirty years. I had three salons of my own in England. I now live in New Zealand. I had given up cutting hair, but am just aboout to go back to it and work from home.

    It makes me very sad to read your profile, about your cousin. I'm sure she is doing the best she can. Unfortunately her best probably isn't good enough. Sadly most of us dont learn to run businesses, we just learn to be good hairdressers. I spent a lot of time and money learning the skills involved in running a salon and all the staff issues that go along with it.

    My advice to you is if you can bear it, stay with her as she does seem to be training you. Learn all you can and dont worry about finding it hard it will all kick into place in your head the more practical work you do.

    I'm going to become a follower on here so I can see how you are doing.

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, gosh, no...I don't work for my cousin...she wanted me to, back when I was still in school...she and I have very similar personalities, and that wouldn't have worked well, AT ALL...we used to work together, years ago, when I was a receptionist, she was definitely the type of hairdresser I did NOT want to become. I actually work in a different state (my home state) than she does...where we work is approximately 13 miles apart. One of the local distributors (for Goldwell/KMS) actually put on the class, and used my cousin's salon as the classroom...sorry for the misunderstanding!! I'll remember to be more clear next time!!
    Thanks for following!! :)

    ReplyDelete