Sunday, March 6, 2011

Education

Continuing education in this business is SO important. If you don't educate yourself, you stay woefully behind the times (which is evident when you watch me versus my co-workers). That being said, I have my latest education. I received my package last week, FINALLY. A textbook (always amazes me how expensive those things are), practice mannequin head (to go with the 3 other ones I have), and DVD series. Hairdressing dvd's always crack me up....sometimes they're so poorly done it's funny to watch. Of course, they're also mind numbingly boring, too....mindless repetition is boring, mindless repetition is boring, mindless repetition is boring. However, it's also how the technique/information gets drilled into your head. I've also started prep work for applying what I'm learning to real life, and for the exam I'll be taking (hopefully) in August 2012. What a pain in the rear to re-rip foils so that they're 4 inches wide, because that's the method this system uses. It's a good thing I can get foils on the cheap at the local dollar store!! I did, however, learn a different method for making hair swatches. And I'll be practicing that one, too....it will be much easier to handle the bags of hair I've gleaned from the salon, too... And, thank goodness, I still have my other "hair connection" in the event I need something different for hair. God love him, he always comes through for me!! On a different, yet same, note: Evelyn had rack 'em stack 'em going yesterday....(must be her "bank" is a tad short again), so I wound up rinsing one of her clients out. This nice lady has hair just like mine...baby fine. I truly wish she was my client, because I'd straighten out the hot mess Evelyn has made of her hair by "refreshing" the ends with the permanent hair color. Of course, this poor lady's hair is TRASHED already....I'm betting she can't get a comb through it without using a ton and a half of product. While this sells product (conditioners, mousses, silicone sprays), you shouldn't need a ton of that stuff in order to get a comb through your hair. The crappy part about rinsing her client out is that Evie handed me the bucket of color and said "would you run this through her hair to freshen her ends??"...and being that she is Evelyn's client, I have no choice but to do this. I won't argue with my co-workers about what they're doing to their cilent's hair. When they see my clients continue to come back, and not have any complaints about the condition of their hair, that will, hopefully, be enough to convince them they should try something new. I doubt it, but, hey...one can dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment