Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rita, the manager....

So, Rita is still trying hard to become the manager.  She's decided to take the new person, Stella, under her wing.  Which should prove to be interesting, since there's a lot of hair education Rita is lacking, purely because she worked in a barber shop for a while when she first got out of school, not a hair salon.

Speaking of which, Rita did a haircut on a lady and managed to mess it up.  Not badly, but she clearly had NO idea what she was doing.  I wound up fixing the haircut.  Here's what happened (I got this from the client later on, when she brought her 8 year old back in for a hair cut):  Nice lady has been growing her hair out for older daughter's wedding.  She's had long layers.  However, it's been at least 2 months, if not longer, since her last cut, so her lines are pretty much gone.  Rita mentioned to her that she couldn't see her layers.  Therefore, what happened, instead of stopping, re-discussing what happened, then continue to cut her hair, she just cut her hair, and didn't put any layers in the client's hair.

Now, let's jump ahead to when mom brings daughter back in to get her hair cut and she gets me for a stylist.  We talk about the haircut, little one decides what she wants, I verify it, because she wants a significant amount of hair cut off, and commence to cutting.  Mom watches me the whole time, then brings up the missing layers and could I at least look at her hair and determine what happened.

The end result is that I wound up re-cutting mom's hair, for free, fixing Rita's mistake.  It wasn't truly bad, but she wanted layers and didn't get them.  She has them now.

This is the second time in as many weeks that something like this has happened, although not to Rita.  The other one was Tina, giving this elderly lady who had a hard time deciding to get her hair cut, a 3 minute hair cut.  Granted, she only had a "0" haircut---meaning all the hair was cut to the same length, right to her chin.  However, gathering her hair, and, effectively, hacking it to one length, in 3 minutes, is not what this lady had in mind for a haircut.  Consequently, she has stated she won't come back, either to get it fixed,(which she said she had to do at home) or to have someone else cut her hair.  When this was mentioned to Tina, she got a tad defensive, but I don't see her changing her methods when she has an elderly person in her chair.  What I've also seen is that she cuts very BLUNT, which shows every mistake you make.

I know that this makes me sound like I'm a perfect hairdresser and everyone else isn't.  So not the case.  I'm far from perfect.  But, here it is, a month into this, and I'm already fixing my co-workers mistakes.  Some of us are getting very full of themselves....

No comments:

Post a Comment