Friday, November 4, 2011

Crawling into bed...

When I have a busy, crazy day....when it's "Beth Appreciation Day"...when it's so slammed I can't leave work on time....I crawl into bed early.  Why??  You might ask....you just stand behind someone and do their hair all day long...what's so hard about that??

1.  I stand, basically, in one spot, all day long....on hard cement flooring covered by vinyl.

2.  I stand with my arms raised to shoulder height, ALL THE TIME...try it for a bit...see how it feels.  My arms are like that for 1/2 hour at a time.  I bet, if you challenged me to a "raise your arms for a long time" contest, I'd beat you....hands down...oh, wait, hands parallel, actually...

3.  My head is usually tilted slightly to the side, which means my neck has a slight crick in it and my shoulders have permanent knots in them.  There's these nifty cords that run across the shoulders....mine are twisted up like a tight rubber band most of the time.

4.  Then, there's the mental exhaustion.  For every client, I'm "on".  I'm chatting it up, finding out what your haircut needs are as well as getting to know you if you're a new client, or getting caught up if you're a repeat client.

So, what gets me through days like this??  Pure adrenaline.  There are days I skip my lunch because it's just not an option.  I just keep moving until the clients stop coming.  What's really funny about the whole thing is every time this happens, every time I stay later than expected, whomever is working the closing shift begs me to stay with them, and, at the same time, grumble that I'm taking all the clients. Which is really funny, because if I've got a client in my chair, that allows the other stylist to take the next person who comes in.  And gives them an opportunity to charm the socks off them so they'll come back.

I'm sure you're saying to yourself "Well, you chose this job".  No.  I chose this CAREER.  I absolutely LOVE what I do.  Regardless of who is sitting in my chair.  This is my "Barbie Dream Job".  But, it does have a physical toll.  Take a look at your hairdresser next time you're waiting to get in their chair...check out their posture...ask them how their arms are feeling....

No comments:

Post a Comment