Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Legacy is over...

At one point, there was a salon around here that everyone flocked to.  They were the premier stylists in the area.  Their education and expertise was unparalleled.  I was lucky enough (in some ways) to work for this salon as a receptionist.  It's where I finally felt like I belonged, and I've learned so much from all of my experiences there.

Notice how that paragraph is in the past tense??  So is that salon.  On Saturday, December 31st, this salon became history.  Being that I was on the inside track for a long time, it wasn't a complete surprise to me.  When the owner was alive, he was clearly the business mind behind everything they did.  When he past away, his wife and son tried to step up to the plate and continue where he left off.  Nine years later, they are closed.

While I worked there, (the last time) there were some MAJOR differences between management styles.  He ran a tight ship.  Everyone knew what was expected of them and everyone worked as a team.  Of course, there were hiccups along the way.  Not everyone always got along with each other, and he was notorious for having it out with someone on the salon floor, including his wife.  (it was embarrassing to be a witness to these things.  I always felt so bad for the person he cornered) 

At one point, there were a total of 19 people working in this one salon, including 3 receptionists.  It was a wild, crazy time.  Were there underhanded shenanigans going on??  Sure.  There's nothing quite like being set up (by the person who lobbied hard to get you a job there) so they can fire you.  But, it was still a fabulous learning experience.  I actually worked there a total of 3 times, equalling just under 4 years .  It's where I got bit by the hairdressing bug in a big way.

When I went back the last time, it was very different.  His wife ran everything loosey goosey.  Suddenly, it was okay to come to work in jeans, as long as you were dressed up.  (which felt WEIRD...I did it exactly once.  Never did it again.)  The person who was established as Salon Manager was probably the worst person for the job.  She was a back stabbing tattletale.  Not to mention one of the biggest ass-kissers I'd ever met, in my life.  Between her and the owner's son (who had NO CLUE) what he was doing, they both managed to run the salon into the ground.  And, lord knows, the owner's wife did everything she could to salvage that business, including mortgage her house to death and spend through all her retirement savings.  At 67 years old, she's having to start over and still work as much as she can, just to keep her head above water.  I don't envy her one bit.

What does this mean for me??  Nothing, really.  I was a part of the history of that place.  And all my experiences there, both good and bad, have made me the stylist/manager that I am, both good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment