Wednesday, January 4, 2012

With a little help from some "friends"

We had an "incident" in the salon the other day.  Rita was doing color on a client (a friend, really) and decided to cover her entire head in foils (instead of just doing the method I described for doing a 14 foil process) because, well, she's messy and wants me to tell her what to do, then decide against what I've told her because it's not what she wants to do.

Anyway...Monday was an extremely busy day (I doubled my daily quota, got to go to the bathroom exactly once, and didn't get a lunch).  Shortly before 5pm, I finally came up for air and was cleaning up around the salon.  This is when I noticed Rita's client's head was COVERED in foils.  When I questioned what she was doing, her reply was "Oh, yes, we're still doing 14 foils.  But, I didn't like how you described to me how I ought to do this, so I'm doing it this way instead, 'cause I'm kinda messy" (like I didn't already know she's a complete SLOB when it comes to color).  I immediately felt my blood pressure RISE.

I finished puttering around the salon, cleaning things up, getting laundry taken care of, making sure there's change for the register, when Rita went into the back room to write down what she had done.  That's when I confronted her.  "By all that's right and holy, you need to charge her for a full head of foils, plus the two colors, plus her haircut.  How do you think we pay for all the foils you just used??  The foil fairy??"  I was so angry at her....a complete waste of money she had going on, right there.  And, I know that she doesn't care about it.  I guarantee you that if I were to ask her "Where do you think the money comes from to pay for our salon supplies??"  She'd reply "Ummmmm, I dunno...Regis??" (our parent company).  NO, Bozo the Clown, it doesn't.  It comes right out of any profit our salon may have.  And, I'm too sure, Tammy has an expense sheet portion of her P & L that breaks everything down for her....what is charged for each color, how many foils were done and how much foil was purchased.

So, the end result, on Rita's end??  Well, when I looked briefly at the sales screen, it appears that she charged her friend accordingly.  I was so busy yesterday that I didn't have a chance to dig very deeply into her Monday night.  I'll be going in a little earlier tomorrow to deal with that part of the program, as well as Mop & Glo the floors to make them shiny again!

The other end result??  I'll be creating, with the help of my "sister" Lisa, a chart to fill out, regarding how much of what has been used, and I've also created a guide to refer to, as to how much of what product needs to be used.  Such as how much color & developer to mix to do a retouch, how much to mix for a 7 foil application, etc.  There is an awful lot of waste going on in that salon.  As manager, it's my job to keep that stuff under control.  And, it seems, I've got a big waster of products & supplies on my hands.  Sigh...

1 comment:

  1. I guess I missed the big news, when did you get promoted to manager? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete