Saturday, January 7, 2012

What a week!

Each of us has a sales quota, based on how many hours a week we work, then it's broken down by each day, for both services & retail.  I did this when I worked at my old salon, just using my previous sales figures & giving myself a 10% increase. 

This industry is very much feast or famine.  I went into this knowing that information.  And, I went into this industry knowing there are certain times of the year when it's DEAD....Usually, it's from Labor Day to Thanksgiving, then January to March.  We started getting quiet the week of Christmas...I was the only one who made commission, BARELY.  The next week, I was the only one who DIDN'T make commission.  This week??  I'm $100 away from getting into the next commission percentage bracket.  Holy Crap!

Something else that is happening is that my reputation is getting out there.  I've gotten two phone calls this week, with people telling me that I came highly recommended and that I'm the only one they'll let touch their hair. I've also had a Walmart associate (who used to go to the high end salon I was a receptionist at) tell me she'll be coming to me....it starts because of our price & the fact they get a discount.  It'll end up because I specialize in fine hair....  WOO HOO!!!

Why do I specialize in fine hair??  Because I have a head FULL of it.  I understand what it does, it's limitations, how it responds to chemicals, why it will or won't respond to anything you do to it.  And, it's GETTING OUT THERE.  Which, for me, is exciting.  I'm aiming to specialize in three things:  Fine hair, long hair, color.  And not necessarily in that order! 

Some other things I've been doing at work:  I've implemented "the proper use of foils" program.  Meaning this:  There is a plastic box with foils in them.  One box for 7 foils, one for 14 foils (two foil specials we offer), partial foil (26 foils) and full foil (52 foils).  I've also typed up and created a folder of pricing and explanation to go with it regarding how to charge for these services.  I'm trying like HELL to oversimplify the whole process so it's a no-brainer.

What I've found out is Rita isn't charging accordingly.  She has a friend that works at another Regis location...a different branch of the company, therefore they price differently.  And, because her friend tells her where to poop and what color it should be, she prices like they do at her friend's salon.  Which means she's under pricing at our salon.  Which means I need to get on her case about it, maybe even calling Tammy & getting her involved in how to properly charge our clients.  Which is also why I separated out the foils the way that I did.  And I may just get Tammy involved, anyway....Because I'm a snot like that...

No comments:

Post a Comment