Saturday, January 16, 2010

Let's do what the client wants, shall we???

Today was a BLAST!! We were all busy, Chrissy and I had to be creatively booked because we are a 4 station salon with 5 hairdressers...Poor Chrissy doesn't actually have a station, so she winds up sharing with whomever isn't there that day. In the case of Saturdays, she usually winds up sharing with me, and we just switch off. Well, today, that wasn't an option. Evelyn managed to over book herself and had a client who screwed up when she was supposed to appear. She was scheduled for 8 am and didn't actually leave her HOME until 8am (she lives almost 45 minutes away...). so that threw EVERYTHING off in Evelyn's schedule. This is where I come in to play: Evelyn has a client, we'll call her "Gloria". For Evie, Gloria is a screaming pain in the ass. Gloria's complaint has been, all along (this is years, mind you) that her hair color isn't right. Lately it's been waaaaay too dark. Evie was so backed up she actually asked me to throw on Gloria's color. Gloria made sure to make the comment that her hair is too dark, can we go back to the color I had a couple of months ago?? Evie was a bit disgusted with her, but agreed. Didn't actually show her emotions, which is a refreshing change, but they'll come out later. So, we confer on the color, figure out what to do, I mix the color, and apply it to Gloria's head. Now, Gloria is a nice lady. She's polite, fairly well spoken, and knows what she DOESN'T like about her color. What I can see, upon applying her color, is that the color closest to her regrowth isn't a super dark color like her ends are (which happen to be thisclose to being BLACK). I suggested to her, while applying her color, that if I was the one to rinse her color when it's done, I wouldn't run the color through the ends. (all this does is deposit more color where it isn't needed) Well, as luck would have it, I didn't get to rinse her color out. Evie did it. After I applied her color, I got with Evie to let her know what was discussed. She shot down my idea IMMEDIATELY (God forbid I know what I'm talking about), and proceeded to complain about how her client always changes her hair color, every time she comes in. Obviously, Gloria likes Evie, but isn't happy with her color. (due to, in large part, with the fact that Evie isn't listening to Gloria's concerns). After the color was rinsed, there was an interesting "discussion" between Evie & Gloria about the color. We'll call it an interesting discussion. I was busy enough with my own clients that I didn't get a chance to find out what the resolution was nor what Evie wrote in Gloria's color card (in computer). I got the impression Gloria wasn't terribly happy with her end results. I had even suggested (in the form of a question, mind you) to Evie that maybe a color wash was in order, to lift out some of that dark color. "No. Her hair will turn orange". Gloria, God love her, is 95% white underneath all that color, which means there is a lot of warmth under there. Which is tough to deal with and get the color to come out right. However, to my way of thinking, something needed to be done about those black ends. If it were mine to do, I'd continue to color JUST her regrowth. and let that old, black stuff just grow out. If I were Gloria, I'd seriously consider whether or not to continue the relationship with Evie or, perhaps, try someone different. Too bad I couldn't be sneaky & underhanded (and get away with it) and invade that space!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment