Sunday, January 31, 2010

The year in review (sorta)

My friend over at Wayfarer Journal did a yearly assessment, so I thought I'd try the same... It's official! I've been a working, paid hairdresser for a year!! WOO HOO!!! Genuinely, I've learned so much in this past year, both positive and negative, so I've tried to list them... The best things I've learned: 1) Always listen to the client and do what it takes to give them what they're asking for, 2) Don't tell them you can't do something or that it will be a production to get it done. These are not the things they want to hear, and, eventually, it will drive them out of your chair and into another, possibly in another salon! 3) Do NOT argue with the client. Find a way to compromise with them. Make sure they understand that the haircut/style they've chosen is NOT for their type of hair (if that's the case) and figure out something that will work... They'll keep coming back if you work with them and won't (again, eventually) if you don't. 4) Never do this job just for the money. I do this because it's what I absolutely LOVE to do. The fact that I receive a monetary tip (most of the time) is a privilege, not a right. I never expect a tip, even from the ones that I get from all the time. 5)Because of #4, budget your money so you don't have to rely on your tips!! 6) Trust my own instincts. If my gut says "Do X", that's what I do. I talk it over with my client, get their opinion/consent and make it happen. 7) When I need help, I ask. Period. If I'm drawing a blank, I just ask for help. 8) I do not waste time defending my actions. I spend a LOT of time educating myself, reading at various professional websites regarding everything and anything that interests me regarding my career (and sometimes not!). 9) Document my conversations with my clients. That way, when one of them calls and insists I've told them something (and they're not talking to me), the proof is in the pudding. Or in their file, whichever... 10) Never take the client for granted. They're here today and gone tomorrow. Of course, you want to keep them, but sometimes, stuff happens. Just roll with it. It's much better than obsessing over why Mrs. So and So is seeing someone else now.

2 comments:

  1. #4 is true of any job, in my opinion-- hairdressing, teaching, whatever. Do what you do because you love it, or because it's getting you closer to that place. To do anything is wasting your time.

    Congratulations on your first year getting paid for doing something you love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, has it been a whole year? Congratulations, Beth!

    If you don't love your job and work place it is time to move on!

    ReplyDelete