Friday, June 10, 2011

First day as "The Boss"

Well, yesterday was relatively uneventful.  Only one disgruntled customer, from the day before, even.  Someone who works for Walmart and didn't like the fact that he was charged $15.95, less his Walmart 20% discount for a haircut that lasted approximately (according to him) 5-7 minutes when he can get it for less elsewhere.  These are the frustrating things we hear about, quite regularly...even when I worked at a salon that charged more, we heard this.  Unfortunately, for people who don't have a whole lot of hair (for a variety of reasons), we don't charge by the strand, or by the minute.  Sigh....So, I get to talk to him later (I used to work with him), and offer up the 1-800 number for him to call to voice his complaint.  The fun part??  He did receive a 20% discount for his haircut.  And he paid for it, without protest, until after the fact.  Can you see me rolling my eyes??

Stella actually asked me quite a few questions last night, from how to handle irate customers (which we don't get very often, really...you know the kind, verbally abusive, flipping out...) to what kind of haircut that requires little to no effort for her grown daughter to wear.  She did suggest, and I'm inclined to agree, that a salon meeting should be done on either a Sunday (not at closing, though...I have no interest in staying late on a Sunday) or a Monday  morning.  So, I'll be looking at the calendar, deciding when to do this.  I feel it's important, and I need to set the tone for everything.  I need to let them all know that I'm watching, I'm aware, and that they need to come to me for help.  I wasn't willing before because I didn't have official permission, and I'm not about to step into things on my own. (have done that before to disastrous results). Okay, wait a minute....what it really was is that I would see things and not step in and say something, as I felt it wasn't my place.  I guess that's unwilling??

Anyway...it should be interesting how things go.  I already had to get after Rita for having her cellphone on the floor.  Going to have to establish the rules about that one, which are clearly stated in the Regis manual.  And I'm going to have to be clear on the fact that while my delivery on some things may be on the more "playful" side, I'm serious when I'm speaking to you about these things.  Good times, they are a'comin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment