Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Separating the positive from the negative

So, after a long talk yesterday, Tammy made me acting salon manager.  The way the money works is interesting, as that's where they "get" you.  I will receive managers pay as long as I make commission.  If I don't make commission, I don't receive manager's pay.  Get to do the work, but don't get to have the pay.  So, this may be only a temporary thing for me.  We'll see.  We did only just open slightly less than two months ago, so we're still building our client base.  I also found out, from doing a small amount of digging in Facebook, that Becky got done with SmartStyles May 31st.  So, when we saw her right before that, she was on her way out.  Explains the "look" she gave me when I got all smarty pants on her and introduced myself to her.

Tammy and I talked about quite a few things, mainly the issues we're having with Rita & Stella.  And, there's a LOT.  With Rita, it's a lot of petty little things, from dress code, the constant sitting, her family/friends hanging around the salon...stupid things, really.  Professionally (in terms of how she does her job), she needs to work on her finish of a haircut....cross checking to make sure the haircut is even, blended, things like that.  We also discussed how to handle what happened on Sunday.  Which won't be happening again.  Partly because Stella and Rita are being separated in the schedule.  I will wind up working two Sunday's in a row and one of them will have two Sunday's off in a row to straighten that part out.  Teaching her how to conduct herself "professionally" will be a separate issue that may never be learned, on her part.  Sigh...

Stella:  She was the last one hired and may be the first one to go.  She's prompt, punctual (as far as getting to work on time) and patient with children.  A bonus in our salon, since we see a LOT of little kids (and I have almost no patience with them!!).  From what I understand, she has almost no experience with anything.  Her haircuts leave a lot to be desired, apparently, her color applications aren't the greatest.  And, she's still under her 60 days probationary period.  Which may be my saving grace when it comes to keeping her.

No comments:

Post a Comment