Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Bouncing around

So, I was just on Facebook and noticed one of my fellow hairdressers is changing salons, yet again.  She's young (to the point of immature, really), enthusiastic, highly skilled, offers lots of services.  From what I understand, she's also pregnant, so income is important.

What happens when you bounce around from salon to salon isn't always a good thing.  Most of your clients will follow you, but some will not.  It's normal to lose anywhere from 10% to 30% of your clients, depending on where you move to and, of course, how much demand there is for you.  I know some hairdressers who did not lose their clients, and in fact, GAINED clients, because they moved.  But, it's not always the case.

I moved from my old salon to where I am now based on the fact that my current employer offered me more hours (which equals more money in the end), opportunity for advancement, and benefits such as health, dental, 401K, 529 savings plans.  Things my previous employer could not do.  It was a huge risk for me, one that has paid off  for me.  There were some instances where I thought "OH CRAP.  What have I done?!?"  but, over all, I'm doing really well. 

Everything I do is a stepping store to something else.  I imagine that's the same for most others.  Eventually, I'd like to have my own place.  I have goals, but I also need to figure out how I'm going to get there.  One step at a time.

I wish my fellow hairdresser well, and hope that her new "home" is where she will fit the best and make money as well as gain new clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment