Friday, January 18, 2013

I'm a beautician, not a magician...

First, she says she wants a beige blonde.  So, you go bananas figuring out a formula, complete with making hair swatches to try to get something close to what she wants.  Then she says (after you've applied the color "I'd like to be a golden blonde"...which, by the way, she was pretty much at before you applied the beige color.

"Can you cover up the bright roots?"  while putting the hair up at the same time, exposing the root area.  "Can you put my hair up?"  When she's got so much breakage, it's coming off in your hands.  What do you want to bet she'll  not come back for quite a while, then expect me to fix the mess she made, AGAIN??

This, my friends, is the client you will NEVER please.  She's got ideas in her head, but no way to effectively communicate to you what the heck she wants.  She's done some serious damage to her hair, but wants you to fix it.  Because, somewhere in the description of Hairdresser/Colorist is the word "magician".  Not only can you not fix stupid, you can't fix fragile, broken hair.  When you are handling the hair, say when you're foiling the hair, and it looks like it's snowing on the black cape from all the breakage, that's BAD.  And it can't be fixed, unless you want a nice, Jamie Lee Curtis short haircut.  Which this nice lady does NOT want.

I've got a plan in place for her, should she come back.  She, more than likely, will NOT like it.  But, here it is:

Her natural level is a medium, almost coarse level 3.  Which means, to lift her to a nice color, without revealing the warmth, I can take her to a 5-5.5 light brown, in the golden vein, to bring some color back to her face. (visually, it's darkish brown)  Because her ends are blonde-ish right now, I would isolate a lot of them in foils with protein loaded conditioner to mask as much breakage as I can, so she still has the appearance of blonde.  The blonde part she'll like.  The darker brown, not so much.  She was adamant about not liking her natural color.  Can I take her to a lighter, yet still darker color?  Sure.  I can bring her to a level 7 (dark blonde) with demi, then do the same plan with her blonde to give her the effect of highlights.

Ideally, the hair needs to go.  And, AGAIN, had she come back in way back in July, we wouldn't have had the struggles we had getting her hair to something reasonable for her event.  Unfortunately, for her, her hair is taking care of the haircut all on it's own, by breaking every time you touch it.  Luckily, you can't see the "pile" of hair she's leaving behind because the hair is so white it disappears.

Really, I'm getting cranked up for nothing.  I'm too sure she won't be back.  And I'm also pretty sure the reason why she came back in the first place was because no other salon would touch her hair.   I can't say that I blame them, really.  I didn't want to touch her hair, either!

No comments:

Post a Comment