Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Entertaining to watch...

It's entertaining, sometimes, to watch my co-workers.  Ultimately, it's insightful, but it's also entertaining.  For example:

Tina:  Is very vindictive and vengeful.  Particularly after she's been spoken to regarding something she's done that isn't correct, or isn't something she's responsible for doing (acting as salon manager in my absence, for example).  She will go out of her way to get back at you, any way that she can.  If you have something she wants, say a steadier schedule, or a larger client base, she'll do what she can, including lie to clients, to get what she wants.

When we have salon meetings and I chose to address an issue with her as a global issue, she ALWAYS pretends to not know what I'm talking about.  Again, funny to watch.  She'll also ask stupid questions that she knows the answer to.  For example, we have new goal books to use with codes the company has established for certain things like request clients, referrals, new people.  So, it made sense to me to change what we had going for our own codes and use the "company approved" ones.  And, of course, she had to question that.  It was hard not to say to her "Well, what the hell do you think it means, idiot??  Do you not pay attention to what you're reading??  How does that not make sense to you???"  But, I didn't.  I just repeated myself, at least 3 times, by saying "it makes sense to use the codes the company provides.  Look at your book"  The response??  "Oh, yeah......."  SIGH....

Tiffany:  If you don't give her a goal, she'll wander around, all day long, bored out of her mind. She isn't really interested in taking responsibility herself, or for her share of the daily business,  she would rather have someone else do all the work and she reap the benefits.  If you don't remind her of what needs to be done, she doesn't do a darn thing.  "Tiffany, would you drain the sinks?"  "Tiffany, would you scrub all three sinks out??" (because, if you don't put in the "three", she'll leave the back room sink a disastrous mess.) "Tiffany, would you empty the trash cans?"  And god help Tina if she gets her bossy pants on because Tiffany won't do anything Tina asks her to do.  I finally had to pull her aside and say "Look.  If you're asked to clean something by someone other than me, JUST DO IT.  It won't kill you.  If someone other than me starts correcting you, that's an issue that I need to address.  If someone acts like salon manager when I'm not around, that also needs to be brought to my attention, however, YOU get to tell her "hey...you're not the salon manager.  Knock it off.  I'm calling Beth to clarify".  The other thing she does is when she's bored, she's outside for a cigarette.  The moment she leaves, 9 times out of 10, a client walks in and either can't hang around, so it's lost money, or they go to someone else and she loses out on the money.  She'll get it, eventually.

Joan:  I'm still assessing this one.  However, when she started, we were SLAMMED, so she raked in the bucks, instantly.  Now that  it's calmed down, she's not pulling in the bucks.  It'll pick back up, soon.  Tax checks will start coming back and people will be in to spend money.  I have noticed, however, that when her personal life falls apart, so does she.  I'm not saying everyone needs to be cold and analytical about it, but put that crap aside so you can do your job.  She also doesn't understand that just because everyone else is busy and you're not, you don't get to start goofing off in the back room where potential customers can't see you.  I had to tell her that when everyone is dead, I don't mind you working on swatches to understand what color does what, etc.  However, when you're the only one not with a client, you need to make yourself visible so when someone comes in, you can take them immediately.  Also, she'll get it, eventually.

Overall, I really do have a good team.  Everyone works well together.  There's some kinks to work out, there always is.  It will be interesting when Lynn comes back, too.  She'll have to get back into the swing of things, and get used to having Joan here (they went to school together, were roommates for a bit, had a falling out.  Hopefully, the animosity won't be an issue at work).  And I think, by then, we'll have a ROCKIN' TEAM!!

No comments:

Post a Comment