Monday, February 1, 2010

We need to expand...

Our salon needs to expand. There's no two ways about it. We currently have 5 hairdressers and 4 stations. During the week, it's not such a big deal...Chrissy and I tend to work opposite one another, so she moves into my station after I go home. Unless I stay late for a client, but then Maude's station is available, also. The last few Saturdays, we've all been busy. But, because Chrissy does not have a station of her own, she gets to grab whichever one is available. Apparently, the immediate cure is to have Maude only work til noon, and Chrissy come in at 11 and work til 3. The problem with this is we all tend to not look at the book when fitting people in. If all 4 chairs are occupied at 12 noon, you can't book another haircut/color/perm/shampoo/set at that time. You can schedule a manicure, pedicure, facial or wax, but nothing to do with the hair on someones head. It's fun when it gets crazy, but it's also frustrating. And, I can guarantee the clients will get frustrated with it after a while, too. Ginger is continually complaining that she doesn't have the money to expand right now. It's all you hear "I can't afford..." And in the next breath, you hear about her son going overseas for his spring break from private school. Sigh. I'm hoping, with a little help from my sister (we've talked briefly about a website) I can get myself rolling, so my Saturdays are booked up. It's not that I want to put the screws to Chrissy--on the contrary, I want her to succeed and may very well put her in my website, too, to give her some help--But, the game tends to be "watch out for me", and I want to be booked solid all the time. This month I had a huge increase over what I did last year, mostly because I didn't start working until the end of the month, but also because I now have a bit of a client base to work with! I've even gone so far as to set sales goals for myself (thanks to all that training in retail, I can read and understand all those reports!), to keep things rolling in a forward manner! We also have to keep meticulous track of our tips...Uncle Sam is cracking down on hairdressers, so...my books are all set up to keep track of these things!! But, anyway. My point is, if I'm booked and poor Chrissy is having to turn clients away due to lack of space, maybe, just maybe, Ginger will become aware that she needs to spend some CASH on the salon to accommodate her staff! Stay tuned!! :)

3 comments:

  1. In my experience, small business owners are far more conservative and tentative than the average when it comes to expansion and growth--especially during insecure financial times.

    I would not hold my breath.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ummmm, who is your sister? You mean there is another one of you floating around?

    It is not your fault there are only 4 chairs and 5 stylists...not your job to feel guilty, that is the owner's problem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayfarer: Not holding my breath, trust me!!

    Mimi: emailed you about my "sister"...I know it's not my fault. It would just be nice to see the owner actually invest money in her salon instead of her lifestyle...'tis all. :)

    ReplyDelete