Sunday, March 7, 2010

Amateur Hairdressers..

So, I got a phone call the other day, from a Mom whose kid is a friend of Katiekatherine's. She saw the high/lowlight I did on another friend and wanted me to do it for her daughter because, well, she highlighted her daughter's hair and it didn't come out so well. Now, I did this first high/low at home, as a favor to the friend's parents, since both mom and dad are out of work right now. It was a birthday present from the dad. I genuinely don't mind doing things like that for people I like...I'm going to be selective here. For which, I'm sure, I'm going to get criticized for. Anyway. I talked my way out of doing this kid's hair at home and thought I had convinced mom to book an appointment with me. I even facebooked her to let her know how much it would cost and why. I got no response. Now, I've dealt with this mother before, in a different capacity. She has no concept of being on time, doesn't realize that it inconveniences others, and is an irritating individual to begin with. If she were an actual client, I'd put up with quite a bit of it for quite a while. However, she's not. So, this child shows up at my house for my daughter's sleepover. Sadly, she's not sleeping over, but she is hanging out for a few hours. And mom got a hold of her hair, again. She decided to put some brown hair color, most haphazardly, onto her daughter's head, thinking that would cure everything. There were portions of her hair that were olive green. Let's look at why this happened (besides amateur hairdresser). When you bleach hair, much like bleaching colored clothing, the chemical takes pigment out until there is nothing left. What happened is that the hair lightener, for whatever reason, wasn't on the hair long enough to lighten it to a pretty color. Mostly because her hair was too dark to lift to a pale blonde. It lifted to a not-so-attractive goldish-orange color. This is what hair does. A colorist will work to fix these things when doing what's called a tint-back. When you've taken color out, you need to put color back in, so that the end result is actually what you're looking for. It was all I could do to not try to work on her hair. Luckily for me, unfortunately for her, I don't have the necessary items at home to take care of this issue. This is a situation I have to try very hard not to get sucked into.

No comments:

Post a Comment