Saturday, March 6, 2010

The irritating husband...

Whilst at work today, I was playing receptionist and was dealing with a client at the desk. Since I was not done with said client when the phone rang, I answered the phone "Thank You for calling Ginger's Hair Palace. Would you hold while I'm with a client, please?" to which the reply was "Yes, of course." I then proceeded to finish with the client in front of me, then picked the phone back up and replied "Thank you so much for holding, how may I help you??". Now. While all of this was going on, Ginger's husband, Tony, overheard me, and whipped around to question Ginger as to why I was putting the phone on hold. Mind you, I never actuallyheard what Tony said, but he was looking right at me when he said it, and Ginger replied with things like"well, did she take the call?? Was she dealing with a client in front of her". WTF??? Here's my opinion: If you have a question about how I'm dealing with something, please ASK ME. Here's a little background on me: I worked for a very prominent salon in our neighboring town for a total of 4 years. These were people VERY respected in the Hair Salon Industry..Members of Intercoiffure (and elite hairdressers club), actually personally knew the Paul Mitchell, and JP Dejoria (PM's business partner), etc., etc., etc. While I worked there, I was taught the professional way to answer the phone and how to put a client POLITELY on hold while I deal with the client in front of me, because I was taught to deal with the clients in the order to which they appeared. It's irritating, piddly little things like that that will send me over the edge. It was all I could do to not say anything to anybody about it. But, now I have said something, so now I feel better!

3 comments:

  1. I'd be willing to bet that he didn't ask you because he wasn't actually asking why you did what you did. He was actually (and not so subtlely) asking Ginger why it was she was training her employees to do such a thing.

    This paints him in a poor light in this situation not because he called things into question, or even that he didn't ask you (as the husband of the owner, it's really not appropriate for him to do that), but that he doesn't know this rather basic rule of customer service: The client in the shop is worth more than two on the phone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why didn't the old fart answer it himself since he could see you were busy with a client!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wayfarer: You're very right, as usual.

    Mimi: I don't have an answer to that question, other than we all multi-task because we don't have an actual receptionist. He's not an actual "owner", just the husband of...I suspect Ginger told him it was alright in the end because nothing else was said.

    ReplyDelete