Tuesday, March 9, 2010

My "Beth Minardi" day

Beth Minardi is my mentor, she just doesn't know it yet. She's actually a mentor to many, so I don't think one more would make a big difference. I have recently spent an ILL sum of money, educating myself on more color theory than I had in cosmetology school, and, as of today, it's money well spent!!! I have books, dvd's, I subscribe to her salon's website, I have a subscription to Behindthechair.com (a professional website) that I have run off many articles that interest me and have them in various binders. Beth Minardi has one all for herself. You could say this has become an obsession. But, in a good way. Let me tell you why. I have a client, I'll call her Sally. (she would shoot me if she knew what alias I gave her!!). Sally is a natural carrot-top redhead, who has since started to fade, as she's no longer 21 years old. I've had her in my chair twice now. Both times were fun experiences with a lot of learning thrown in. It's an interesting trick to bring a redhead back to her glory days. The first time, I used permanent color, and it came out beautiful. But, like all permanent color, it faded. However, it faded well...blended in with her natural color. Today was time to juice up her color. And, since I've been studying Beth Minardi's methods, I've found the perfect opportunity to apply what I've learned!! I had a total of 4 bowls at my station today...2 with different shades of coppery red hair color, 1 with lightener, and one with conditioner. I alternated her color & highlights using the zig zag method Beth taught in one of her dvd's, and used an idea from a Tony Mascolo dvd (he's from TiGi), to use their lightener with the lowest volume developer they carry: 8.5, which is usually used for demi permanent color. Sally's color came out looking very natural, and the highlights lifted up BEAUTIFULLY. I didn't have to wipe any off, I didn't have to deal with damaged hair at the end of the procedure, I didn't have to maniacally peel back the foils to check the progress. It was a stress-free color!!! Now, Sally thought it was going to be brighter, and it was more natural. And, there were two spots on the very front that turned pinkish that I may have to fix. But, overall, a beautiful color!!! I conditioned her ends while the rest of her hair was processing. Then, when I took her to the sink, I glazed her with clear to seal in the color and protect her ends. It's almost like putting top coat on your manicure!! Her hair looked soooo great!!!

2 comments:

  1. Did she like it as much as you did? 2 thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Except for those two pinkish spots in the front, yes!! :) I was just so thrilled that the process worked as well as it did!! :) But, the color was fabulous...very natural!! :)

    ReplyDelete