Saturday, March 20, 2010

Wayfarer strikes again!!

So, feeling in a slightly better frame of mind, I hopped over to Wayfarer to read his latest blogs. They're both about what is going on at his school (he's a teacher), but one of them was a bit more useful. And, he wanted a response. So, here are his questions, and here are my responses. 1) Consider what goals you have. What do you want to achieve for yourself?? What do you want to be able to do? A) I want to be a master colorist and a board certified colorist. Currently, there isn't a board certified colorist in the state of New Hampshire. I want to be IT. 2) How will you know you've done it?? (this seems like it would be obvious, but there are many ways to determine success) A) The ABCH (American board of certified hair colorists) does exist, they do offer a national exam...and I can get the study materials (of which there are PLENTY) from a website: www.certifiedhaircolorproducts.com , to work towards this goal. From study guide to mannequin heads to hair swatches...all that you need to practice, practice, practice. (of course, I also need money, money, money...which I'm saving for ). Once I pass the exam, my name is listed as nationally certified in all hair color techniques...it's like having M.D. after my name.... 3) Plan out how you might get here to there. This is often the hardest thing to do where real-life goals are concerned. If you're thinking of a big or long term goal, it might help to think about smaller interim goals that, all together, get you where you want to be over time. A) My plan is to collect hair (sounds gross, but it's what's needed) from clients who don't want to donate to Locks of Love, bring them home, make hair swatches out of them, and experiment with different hair color, to see what I can see and learn from it. Practice on mannequin heads (I have three, will need more), and continue to learn from my experiences with my clients. (let's hope I don't screw up a whole lot more of them!)

No comments:

Post a Comment