Monday, December 14, 2009

Customer vs. Client

My co-workers refer to everyone that sits in their chairs as "customers". This bothers me, greatly. Why, you might ask?? Well, because I was "brought up" in a different salon culture than they were. Where I come from, those lovely people are called "Clients", not "customers". Here's a better definition: A customer is someone who shops at Walmart. A client is someone who reserves a certain amount of time with you and pays you (usually gladly, I might add) for the privilege. And, yet, every day that I work I hear things like "my customer who just left" or "one of the customers I had earlier..." Of course, these are the same people who wear jeans or khakis to work every day, instead of dressing nicely every day. Some of these people don't even try to do much with their hair, which is a separate issue. I feel like I'm working with people who are posing as hairdressers! I'm not the greatest, not by a long shot. But, by golly, I dress the part! Since I have started dressing in black (except for my smock, which is either purple or green), my universe has changed. The people in my chair take me seriously as a hairdresser. Strange, I know. Why would what I wear under my smock make a difference? especially when all they see is maybe my collar area and my legs?? Apparently, a lot. I've noticed an increase in my book and an increase in my tips because of it. Enough so that I'm willing to take the chance and quit my second job so that I can just be a hairdresser!! This is something I'm very excited about...no more getting up at ungodly hours of the morning on a SUNDAY, to slog through the same dull, boring routine every weekend. The customers I deal with at the grocery store are nice people...rarely do I get someone with an attitude,which is nice. But, I hate this job. With a passion. It makes me miserable to even think about going to work there every sunday. And now, I've given my notice. I will work until January 10th, and then I'm DONE. I've worked hard enough at the salon, and the appreciation I get for all my hard work is unbelievably rewarding, then to go to the grocery store to work and get NADA, bupkis..it's just ridiculous. So, I'm quitting. And I feel good about it!

2 comments:

  1. You truly are my niece! Why a green smock and not all purple?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to switch it up, and I need a smock on, so when one goes in the wash, the other comes out!! Can't walk around with schmutz all over myself!!

    ReplyDelete