Monday, October 10, 2011

Commission...UGH.....

So, the edict came down last week, as I've posted in "Letters" and "Letters, part 2".  So, today, I actually got to talk to Tammy about the whole thing...what exactly we're supposed to be doing, how she wants us calling in our numbers, etc.  What a screaming pain in the ass.

Now, there's an equation within the letter, explaining how to figure out what you need to be "making" an hour to be on commission.  Divide our hourly rate (which sucks, by the way) by 40% (which is our commission, unless we surpass $929 in services...next to impossible right now), and viola!  You have your commission rate.  However, when I talked to Tammy, she gave me a completely different amount to go by.  So, consequently, it's a bit confusing.

At any rate....when I figured out what everyone needs to be doing every day for commission sales, I got pretty discouraged.  The amounts are quite high.  Don't get me wrong, we're fairly busy right now, especially for this time of year (which is typically slow from Labor Day to the week before Thanksgiving).  However, not all of us are busy.  And I'm certainly not busy enough in the eyes of the corporate "Gods".   Right now, I'm busy enough to make commission at 32 hours a week.  To receive manager's status (officially, mind you....getting tired of these stupid hoops), I have to be working 38 hours a week, which I'm not too keen on.  And, frankly, it was hard to not pipe up to Tammy this morning and say "Uh...in case you hadn't noticed, I'm DOING the manager's job at 32 hours a week.  38 isn't necessary".  But, I managed to keep my trap shut.  Only just.

I really do like my job, despite my Aunt telling me I'm dumb for doing it the way that I am.  ( by being "acting" manager instead of MANAGER)  I'm far busier here than I was at my old salon...by far.  And my tips have tripled since I've been at this new job.  I certainly don't want to lose my job over something so relatively trivial as commission or not commission. 

According to Tammy, when you're paid hourly, it eats up a lot of payroll.  I have issues with this theory, and I'll tell you why.  When I worked at my old salon, I kept track of what I charged for services vs what I received for pay each week.  At the end of the month,  it wasn't uncommon for my former employer, Ginger, to clear a minimum of $350 a month or more off of me.  Now, I realize that doesn't begin to cover my payroll , but she was still making money.   And Regis is making more, due to all the retail I've sold that I didn't receive a cent of commission from when I didn't make service commission.  It may be a lousy attitude, but I don't think the company will go bankrupt just yet.

So, while I'm not stressed out about this just yet, it's coming.  Sigh...

No comments:

Post a Comment