Friday, April 22, 2011

Back in the saddle....

Of course, now I have Aerosmith stuck in my head!  I managed to crank out two colors last night, back to back.  What an interesting experience that was!!

The first, started out as just a haircut.  Gail works for Walmart, and I've been dying to get my hands in her hair for YEARS...she has long, crazy wavy hair that she's been coloring at home forever.  She used to be a darker auburn (brownish red) and switched to a light, almost strawberry blonde color, which works great with her complexion.  She's also on a ridiculous amount of medications (for what, she still won't tell, except it's not fibromyalgia), so it's wreaking havoc with her hair...it falls out in massive amounts.  However, the upside is that it also grows back in massive amounts, so it's an irritating side effect.

Anyway...her color was coming out relatively okay, except for the spots she was consistently missing, which happens when you color your hair yourself.  However, I had suggested to her, years ago, to not drag the color through to the ends of her hair, and she really hadn't done that a whole lot.  Her hair was a bit rough, but it's her natural texture, plus her medical condition/medications that are making the most of the mess.

We chose the color carefully...permanent color, regrowth only,mostly 9N (she's got a lot of grey/white), 9G with a titch of 9CG for that coppery tone she already had going on.  A PERFECT MATCH!!  Then, since her ends already had the pinkish tone that copper leaves behind, I used demi permanent on her ends, 9N (had to make it out of 10N & 8N) + 10G...I'm looking for tone, not color change, and wanted the underlying tones to do their job as well.  And, it did!!  WOO HOO!!!

The other color, well....always a work in progress.  We matched up the color as best as I could, using what's already on her ends as a guide.  She had gotten color and highlights from another salon, so I wound up creating a formula from scratch...not bad, but not quite right.  Really, should have pulled some of the color through (as much as I hate doing that) so it would blend better...you can see the new color, the faded color, then the color on the ends, which weren't faded so much...luckily, it will fade and match quite nicely.

Now, I get to go in (in a bit) and finish cleaning up my mess in the sink and writing out my color cards...even with these two ladies, back to back, with some sit time in between, I still got home before 10pm!!  WOO HOO!!

Poor Katie is feeling it, though...she goes to Gram's when I have to work late and Gram brings her home around 8pm, so I don't keep her up trying to get home from work (Gram has to work at 5am 4 days a week!!), and Katie was curled up in the chair, bundled up, sleeping, when I came home....this is after I spoke to her on the phone and suggested she go to bed, as she didnt' feel very well.  Durn kid....

I've also run into quite a few clients from my old salon since I've left....and some have made the comment that they "heard" about me leaving...I can only imagine what's being said...I've been good, I haven't asked what was being said, just made the comments that I'm making more money, I'm busier, and this job offers benefits, something Ginger just can't really offer, by virtue of being a small, family owned business.  It just is what it is.  I didn't bash anyone, because I don't need to.

Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment