Monday, April 4, 2011

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes???

We have a Walmart Supercenter about to open in my hometown. Attached to it is a SmartStyles Family Salon (just like SuperCuts...owned by the Regis Corporation). I am seriously considering filling out an application & sending in my resume along with it. Why, you might ask?? Knowing these types of salons attract some serious traffic, that's appealing, even if it is all walk-ins, all day long. Knowing that since this branch of franchised salons is a part of a HUGE corporation, they offer BENEFITS, such as health/dental insurance, 401K, 529 for college---all the things my current employer does NOT offer, and really can't offer because of the expense. Oh, and paid vacations, which my employer DOES offer. They also pay by the hour (which is how I get paid now), so what is appealing here is the opportunity for FULL TIME EMPLOYMENT. They also offer commission on services (not sure of the exact structure), as well as commission on the product you sell. AND, they offer EDUCATION. Exactly what, I don't have the particulars on. But, again, being a major corporation, they have the funding to offer a lot. Specifically, REDKEN education--I've worked a little bit with Redken color and I like it. They also have a master colorist program (Redken does), which interests me, A LOT. There's also the money issue in general. While things at the salon are going much better, and Ginger is reaching out to me more, trusting me more, etc., etc., etc., I will never be as much to her as Evelyn is. Which bothers me a lot, because I still feel she's put her money on the wrong horse. I'm not saying she needs to leave the salon to me when the time comes (as she has done with Evelyn), because inheriting someone else's mess is not my idea of a good time, but just as much faith in me as she has in Evelyn would be nice. But, she's molded Evelyn into the hairdresser she wanted her to be...I'm a bit more resistant to that, since I'm considerably older than Evelyn was when she started out. So, it is what it is. Those that read my blog know I haven't always been happy at or with my current employer. So, wanting to go elsewhere isn't really a surprise to those that know me well. However, it's going to be a HUGE surprise (particularly if I actually do it) to my boss/co-workers. Especially since things are starting to turn around a bit. So, yet again, stay tuned.......

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I am quite surprised as it hasn't been a year that I urged you to find a new employer...you told me that you didn't have enough experience to go elsewhere! Hope you get the job...

    ReplyDelete