Friday, April 15, 2011

Smart Styles

So, I went to work on Tuesday, and didn't get a chance to talk to Ginger until 1:45...we were both booked solid, and running around like crazy people.  Needless to say, I might as well have dropped an anvil on her head.  She was totally not expecting me to look for another job, nor give my notice.  So, when she asked me when my last day was, I told her "I'd like it to be the 23rd, I've got clients on the books, I'd like to say goodbye, let them know where I'm going.  I'd also like to take the time, HERE, in front of you, to call my other clients and let them know where I'm going"---that was a mistake.  She looked at me and said "No, I need to think about that...I don't want to lose any clients".

So, I went home at my usual time, said good night to everyone, see you tomorrow.  Ginger barely spoke to me.  I know I whomped her a good one, and she was thinking of how to handle this.  See, when Michelle left, it was handled very poorly.  They just shifted clients over to whoever had the time and let the stylists deal with the fall out from it.  And, trust me, that fall out lasted a LONG time.  Ginger called me that night, at 8pm (after the last client left) and let me go.  Said she understood my decision, as I have to do what's best for Katie & me, but she couldn't afford to keep me on for the next two weeks.  So, poof.  Just like that, I was done.

So, in between when I left work and when Ginger called me, I went to Smart Styles to meet and greet with the regional manager, because they're thinking, based on talking to me and by my multiple resumes, that they want me for Salon Manager (I don't know that I'm quite ready for that, but it won't be for a while, anyway, since I have a 90 day probationary period, like every one else).  So, I did that, and they both warned me that my boss could very well let me go, very soon.  So, Becky, the Area Supervisor (district manager) gave me her card to contact her if and when that happens.  After it happened, I called her and left a voicemail for her.  Which she didn't get, I was to find out Wednesday morning.

After a sleepless night of panic, I called Becky in the morning to let her know what had happened.  Her response was "are you okay??", then, "What would you like to do?" and I said "come to work!".  So, that's what I did, after I went over to Ginger's salon and got my stuff.

Which was interesting...when I walked in, some of my stuff was already unplugged, and waiting for me.  Ginger did speak to me, but not like she normally did, because she was ANGRY.  So, I packed my bag (stuffed it to the gills, actually), and circled the salon a couple of times, to make sure I didn't leave anything laying around.  I picked up my stuff, and waited to speak to Ginger about my last paycheck, which, of course, wasn't ready for me when I walked in the door.  Ginger had Frannie in her chair, who was talking up a storm.  I told Ginger since I didn't know when I was working the rest of this week, and I had to go into work that day, it would be better if she just mailed my check.  When she turned to face me, oh boy...it's a good thing looks can't kill, because I would have been a grease spot, RIGHT THERE. 

As I was walking away, Frannie speaks up and says "Hey!  You're not working today??"  "Nope, I'm not working today"  "Where you going??  To work at the new Walmart??", laughing while she said it "As a matter of fact, yes, I am".  Then, I caught the eye of the sales rep who was sitting, waiting for Ginger, winked at her, and left.  I had talked to the sales rep the night before on Facebook (we're "friends") and told her what happened.  Then, I went home, and frantically pulled myself together to go to work at my new job!!

Wednesday was a chaotic day, all the way around.  I went in at 10, and hit the ground running.  I got to have a 1/2 hour lunch break, and that was IT...10 haircuts in 6.5 hours.  I might have done that once at my old salon, and definitely not that many haircuts in that much time!!  My first two days at Smart Styles, I've done almost $300 in services, and $85 in retail....That's an average week for me at my old salon....I need to tell Becky that...

My body feels beat up, like I've spent the whole week at the gym, Biggest Loser style.  I've made as many tips in two days that I used to make in a week, also.  The new schedule is going to take a bit to get used to, both with the fact that I'm working 40 hours now instead of 24, and that I'm working 2 nights a week instead of just one.  But, I'm liking the money in my pocket, I'm liking the fact that my clients are finding me, and I'm having a helluva good time doing this!!

No comments:

Post a Comment