Sunday, April 10, 2011

Nervous Energy

So, the phone call I was waiting for came last Monday---"They" called.  I have an interview tomorrow---one, since the grand opening is Wednesday, that is 2 interviews condensed into one---the verbal interview & the "interactive" one...with two models for me to demonstrate haircuts on.

By yesterday morning, I was feeling pretty desperate---I had my female model--Mom always wants a free haircut.  However, the male model was being elusive.  So, I reached out, a tad desperately, to the guy I went to breakfast with back in January. (really, he owes me, and he knows it.)  And, he agreed to be my model.  So, all I've got left to do is pull my stuff together for tomorrow.  A friend of mine is going over my "professional" resume later this evening, to see if we can edit for content.  It's the standard, basic resume, but it's long (2 pages), and repetitive, because I've done the same work for a long time at different places of employment.

Needless to say, I'm a nervous wreck.  I know that I'll do fine through the whole thing, over all.  I'm confident in my skills, and it's clear that I love what I do.  I'm not worried about that part.  I'm worried about the decision making part.  If I get the actual job offer, and I decide, with all the information in front of me, to go with "Them", then I get to sit and have a long chat with Ginger about it.  THAT'S what I'm worried about.

I'm finally starting to fill in at work--It's still not consistent, but it's getting there.  Part of it is totally my fault because I don't insist my clients reschedule before they leave.  If I switch jobs, and my clients come with me (which would be IDEAL), I will need to INSIST they pre-book--otherwise, they won't get what they need and all the walk-ins will take over my schedule.

I just don't even know what I'm going to say to Ginger.  I've got somewhat of a plan as far as contacting my clients goes--I've got quite a few booked this week and next, then it's empty until the last Saturday, so I can tell all of them in person, and let them decide what they want to do.  Hopefully, I'll have some generic kind of business card to give out with the correct contact info on it that I can give to my clients.

Then, I'll need to contact my clients that are booked for the next month.  Tricky, tricky, tricky.  I'd like to send them a note, explaining what's going on and their options, all done AT WORK, so Ginger doesn't think I'm being sneaky about anything (even though, right now, everything is a covert operation).

That's the part that is going to be the worst--I've worked SO hard for the last two years to gain Ginger's trust--I've got the keys, for crying out loud!!  And, now, I might be doing this--Talk about feeling guilty!!

I shouldn't feel guilty--trusting me never should have been an issue.  I'm not Michelle (the woman I replaced)--she should have seen that from the start.  And, if I leave, I won't do it like Michelle did, leaving them high and dry.  What's funny, is that when I briefly talked to Chrissy about it, she commented she was thinking about doing the same thing, for many of the same reasons, plus a few extra---she hasn't had an easy time of it, either.

Now, if I don't get a job offer (she had TONS of interviews, and as of last Monday, had only hired one person), all of this worry is for nothing.  In the mean time, I'm going to try hard NOT to eat too much junk, bite Katie's head off for breathing, and use this nervous energy to do something constructive:   Clean house, blog, walk 4.1 miles.....

Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment