Friday, April 29, 2011

Visitors....

So, I get into work yesterday to hear that someone from corporate headquarters is supposed to show up.  Whooptie doo.....I've dealt with so many of these people over the years, they just don't phase me any longer.  Some of my co-workers, Rita in particular, got all worked up about it (not in a productive way, though, just worked up) and I reminded her that whoever this person is (turned out to be a woman named Dana), they put their pants on the same way you do, one leg at a time.  I don't fawn all over these people.  I'm respectful, I'll introduce myself, talk to them.  But, I don't see them as the demi-gods they think they are.  Which will probably get me into trouble.  Oh, well...

However, that meant that both Becky and Tammy were supposed to be around.  And, eventually, they did show up.  Around 4pm.  And promptly went on a cleaning tear.  Is there clutter in the dispensary??  Sure...it's the smallest dispensary I've ever experienced..there's no provision for our purses/bags, our coats, food, nothing.  The wall cabinets are HUGE...the height isn't a big deal, but the depth is...entirely too deep for the stuff that's sitting on the shelves.  And, the spare chair we have usually winds up in the break room, because Rita can't handle standing on her feet all day long.  Then, we have a 33 gallon silver trash can..which, really, we don't need.  A smaller one would be more ideal.  Maybe I'll ask later this morning...

The girls all had beverages out on the floor, too.  (not me, I know better...I was never comfortable with that when I worked at my old salon)  Which prompted Tammy to comment that the salon was the dirtiest she'd ever seen.  I almost spoke up at that one.  It was hard not to say anything.

Here's what I wanted to say:  The entire time we've all been here, none of us has been trained in the Regis way of doing things.  There is no reference book available, beyond the starting packet, to turn to to find out about x, y, or z when we have a question.  Half the time, when we call Becky with a question, we don't get a call back.  We've been left here, to our own devices, to figure things out on our own.  No one has bothered to clearly explain how we're supposed to be charging for services, so, we're charging whatever, and managing to piss off quite a few people.  No one has bothered to explain to the stylists that they need to talk to the PARENT when they're dealing with a teenager in regards to how much the service is going to cost.  No one has bothered to explain to the stylist that when you're doing chemical services, you need to explain the cost BEFORE the chemicals are applied, not after (which means you need to read the waiver after the client signs it, to check things out).  We've had no time set aside to watch the training videos, so, we're flying by the seat of our pants.  And you're going to come in here and criticize what we're doing??

But, I wisely shut my mouth.  I know, as it's common sense, not to have food & drink on the floor, in front of the clients.  I've actually worked in a salon before...two of them, as a matter of fact.  One with rules, one with none.  And, most of the time, I'm blessed with common sense.  So, there are a lot of things I just don't do.  However, out of the 4 of us, I'm the only one who has worked full time in a "real" salon.  Tina worked in a salon, but part time, and she's quite young.  Rita worked in a barbershop, so she was exposed to a different atmosphere.  And, her time in an actual hair salon was very short, with no guidance, either.  And Lindsay has had no exposure, at all.  She's a go-getter, and all about up selling to make her ticket bigger, but she doesn't get with the money behind the appointment.  Just last night, she had a teenage girl in her chair, got the kid's permission to do all kinds of things, but didn't run it by the parent funding the appointment.  So, when the time came to pay, and she called out "$26.95"  instead of "$7.00", he flipped out, and rightly so.  He paid it, but I guarantee he won't be back.  And neither Lindsay nor Becky apologized or offered to make it "better"...I was watching because him shouting out "$26.95!?!?!"  caught my attention.

Do I regret moving here??  No.  I'm making more money, I'm working full time, I'm entitled to benefits...all of which I didn't have at my old salon.  I just wish they'd actually train us in how things are supposed to be, to make the mucky mucks at Regis happy....

No comments:

Post a Comment