Saturday, July 16, 2011

Observations

So, I actually got to do Stella's hair yesterday.  Monday did NOT happen because we got busy and paying customers always come first.  She was good about it.

So, I mixed my colors and got started.  Did her base color first, making sure I got her regrowth covered.  Then, I went in and customized her highlights, breaking up the big whoppers she had, making them more spread out and subtle, which is what she told me she wanted.  Did I take pictures??  Heck no. 

What did happen, when I got all done, was that, over all, she looked soooo much better when the color was finished.  All that blonde just washed her out, in a big way.  The dark hair color, which is a "natural" color for her (she's darker complected with clear brown eyes) is sooo much more flattering for her....perked her appearance right up!  The best part, she was THRILLED with what I did.  Which is what's most important.

What was amusing was that during the process, Rita piped up with the fact that she didn't understand some of what I was doing.  When I asked her while I was working what it was she didn't understand, she brushed it off, stating she'd ask later.  Her issue was why didn't I highlight her all the way to the root.  My response was to keep the highlights looking as natural as possible.  When "nature" highlights your hair, it isn't always to the root.  It's down the hair shaft, to the ends.  Truthfully, I don't think she understood why I did it that way.

Something I did notice about Stella and decision making.  She's not very good at it.  She had a LOT of blonde in her fringe area....enough that the color wasn't flattering to her complexion.  I asked her, once I was done with the back of her hair and had moved around to the front, if she wanted me to eliminate some of the blonde.  It took her FOREVER to finally say to me "well, what do you think??"  And my reply was " I think the blonde is too much and that it washes you out."    So, she let me eliminate some of the highlights in her fringe and front area.  She's got plenty of highlights, and  most of them are a nice pale blonde, which contrasts well with the dark hair.  She now looks like a brunette with blonde highlights, rather than a blonde with dark lowlights.  MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Rita, Rita, Rita....I'm not quite sure just what to do with her.  She has a complete disregard for company policies that is impressive to watch.  Stephie is getting that way, too, because they're just not busy enough.  I HATE micromanaging adults....what winds up happening is that I'm the one who can spout the rules and they get titchy with me when I enforce them.  I get that they're bored because they don't have constant clients in their chair.  However, there's PLENTY to be done around the salon.  I get they're tired of doing it.  I'm tired of doing it, too.  And, I'm tired of babysitting them.  However, it's my job.  So, they're all going to get items to count and on hand changes to put in the computer, so things can stay up to date.  Don't tell me you're bored.

The other thing that happens is that I'll get notes attached to my station, with clients requesting time with me.  I still haven't figured out why they cannot tell the client themselves that we don't book appointments, so this is when I come in, if you want me right away, you have to come in just before I start my shift and wait for me.  If the salon is busy, I'm supposed to take the next person in line, regardless of how many requests I have.  This is a rule I dislike, intensely.  If I have clients waiting for me, I should be able to take them and leave the new(er) clients for the girls that don't have a client base.  I would really like to talk to Tammy about this, whenever she finally shows up in the salon.

And how was your week???

No comments:

Post a Comment