Saturday, July 2, 2011

I did it....

So, Rita and Stella finally pushed me over the edge the other day.  I came in, on my day off, mind you, with a pan of birthday brownies for Tina (who turned 21).  Rita and Stella started in on me the moment I walked in the door.  Stella has given her notice (no great loss, really, other than the need to replace her), and Rita has decided to completely nitpick my job.  Every time I come in when I'm not scheduled, she's got the manager's manual out, looking for ways to trip me up.  Hasn't happened yet.  I'm not perfect, and don't pretend to be.  Just knock it off, really.

Anyway....I got with Walmart management to borrow some space from them (as we have no private space for conversations like this) so I could have a "sit down" with her.  Made her trot along side me all the way out back.  (not a nice person.  At 5'2 1/2", I tower over Rita's 4'11"...not to mention the fact she's got at least 100 lbs on me).  We sat down, I gave her what she's done for numbers so far (not bad, considering we have nothing to go by), and then, I let her have it.  I didn't yell.  I didn't cuss.  I laid it all out for her.

Some of what I touched on, she had no idea, or very little idea that what she was doing was wrong.  For example, soliciting a customer to come to her home so she could pierce their ear, as we don't offer that service.  Had Tammy been there and witnessed that, she would have been fired, ON THE SPOT.  Her cell phone usage.  I had asked her if she'd actually read our policy manual.  "I've been going through it".  So, I read passages from it.  Specifically, about cell phone usage.  She is to leave her cell phone in her purse.  It is to be OFF.  The only time she can use her cell phone is when she is clocked out for a lunch break, PERIOD.  Whether or not she's obeying this one remains to be seen.  I'll trip her up...it's a matter of time.

Her dress code.  How I addressed it is this:  If you look the part, the clients will come.  If you want the clients that actually tip and tip well, you can't come in to work looking like you got dressed with whatever was laying on the floor.  It's great you've got clients already, but, they're all your friends.  Who don't necessarily tip.  Something to consider.  So, your hair is done, your face is done, and your clothing improves.  Period.  She was there yesterday, dressed nicer than I've seen her, EVER, with her makeup DONE.  (Tina helped with this.  She looked MUCH better than what she usually does).

Your attendance.  I get that you don't drive, so you're relying on others to get you where you need to go.  However.  8:45 means 8:45.  You can get here at 8:40, 8:41, 8:42, 8:43, 8:44, or 8:45.  NOT 8:52, 8:53, 8:57, 8:59.  This includes stopping at Dunkin' Donuts before you go into the salon.

The only thing Rita started to argue with me about was the cell phone usage.  And I shot her down, immediately.  She agreed.  I was surprised, really, because I figured she'd put up one helluva fight.  I also touched on the fact that it's MY job, as manager, to fix and help with haircuts.  Not hers.  This is one thing that I'm going to have to keep harping on, as she steps in on Stella's haircuts, quite regularly.  I'll cure that ailment, yet!!

Stella, on the other hand, has been both very nice, and very snotty, usually in the same sentence.  Thankfully, she'll be leaving, SOON.  Truly, she's dragging the whole place down, and that needs to stop.   While hairdressing may be what she's always wanted to do, she certainly doesn't show it.  She's not methodical, she's just slow.  When she gets a haircut that she has no clue about, she doesn't always ask for help, she'll just try to muddle through.   There is truly no talent there, either natural or man-made.  What a waste of money for her to have gone to school.  So, now, I'm off on the search to find a new hairdresser!!

No comments:

Post a Comment