Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Working with children...

To be a hairdresser in a hometown salon, you need to be kid-friendly, for many reasons. The salon I work in is a family salon, so that's reason #1. It's an important reason. An equally important reason is this: if the child feels comfortable with you, and the parental unit picks up on this, it's highly likely the parent will come to you, as well. Case in point: Friday night, I had the cutest little boy as my client. There was a very important semi-formal dance at the local elementary school and selected students got to go (had to do with grades or attendance, I forget), so this little guy was excited for a few reasons..A) that he got chosen to go, and (most importantly) B) he had a date. His date was actually my little cousin, who is in 2nd grade, as is he. He picked out the haircut he wanted from one of the books (clippers up the back & sides, scissors for the top, smooth it down with a little gel afterwards to control it....VERY cute!!). We chatted it up the entire time, talking about what dances were like, what he was wearing, stuff that's very important. I always talk to kids like they're people, not like they're itty bitty toys to be played with. Kids tend to like this, and warm right up to me. I genuinely love kids, and they can feel it. The parents get to see it. And, they like it. The dad-type person (actually Mom's boyfriend, but he likes the kids) booked an appointment with me for Saturday, Mom booked for Tuesday (today). Dad's hair was pretty simple, since he didn't have a whole lot. However, we chatted about all kinds of stuff, and he also bought the shampoo I used on him (good old Tea Tree!!). Suh-weet!!! Mom came in today and picked out this really cute short haircut, that was perfect for her head shape. She was sooo thrilled with the haircut that she tipped me HUGE!! She was supposed to come back for highlights, however, today's snowstorm changed those plans, which was okay with me!!! I love my job!!

No comments:

Post a Comment